- Get your optometry license (see our guide that gives step-by-step instructions on how to get your optometry license in each state)
- Find a place to practice
- Get liability insurance
- Obtain your NPI number
- Begin the medicare enrollment process (see our 41 Step Guide to Become a Medicare Provider w/ Screenshots)
- Register with CAQH
Directions to join Humana Medical Plan
- Tax ID Number (TIN) aka Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- CAQH number
- Visit the Humana Medical Plan online webpage. Please note that online applications are not possible in several states, including California, Florida, and New York. Here are instructions for applying in these states.
- If you are in a state that allows online applications, fill out this form.
- Wait for a response—it should take no longer than a few weeks.
FAQs about Humana Medical Plan
- If you are an associate or independent contractor in a practice, ask the owner for the TIN and EIN.
- If you are a solo practitioner in your own practice you will need to apply for a TIN/EIN number. Click here to go to the IRS website.
- Here is Humana’s website: http://www.humana.com/
- Humana’s Provider Relations Phone Number: 1-800-626-2741
- Humana’s Customer Service Line: 800-448-6262
Step-by-step credentialing guides
The credentialing process for different insurance plans varies quite a bit. Some plans are relatively simple and others require much more work. The below guides walk you through the process for the most common vision and medical insurance plans.
- 41 Step Guide to Become a Medicare Provider w/ Screenshots
- How Optometrists join Medicare as an Independent Contractor 1099
- The Complete Medicare Resource List
- How to Become an AETNA Provider
- How to Become an AlwaysCare Provider
- How to Become a Blue Shield of California Provider
- How to Become a Davis Vision Provider
- How to Become an EyeBenefits Provider
- How to Become an Eyemed Provider
- How to Become an EyeQuest Provider
- How to Become a FEDVIP Provider
- How to Become a Humana Vision Provider
- How to Become a Humana Medical Provider
- How to Become a Spectera Provider
- How to Become a United Health Care Provider
- How to Become a Vision Plan of America Provider
- How to Become a Vision Benefits of America Provider
- How to Become a VSP Provider