Step 1: Complete the introductory requirements
- Get your optometry license (see our guide that gives step-by-step instructions on how to get your optometry license in each state)
- Find a place to practice
- Get liability insurance—$1 million per claim.
- Obtain your NPI number.
- Begin the Medicare enrollment process (see our 41 Step Guide to Become a Medicare Provider w/ Screenshots).
- Register with CAQH.
Step 2: Complete plan specific requirements
- Aetna will evaluate need for providers in your area and contact you within 45 days to notify whether you can join their network.
- Designate Aetna as an authorized health plan in your CAQH.
- Once credentialing is complete, the contract will be finalized and you’ll receive welcome materials.
The author of the content you just read worked hard to provide you with this article. Even though we try our best, there is no guarantee that the article is error-free. CovalentCareers, its sponsors, advertisers, staff, and writers make no representation, warranty, or guarantee that this article and its contents are error-free and will bear no responsibility or liability for the results or consequences of the information contained within.
Step-by-step credentialing guides
The credentialing process for different insurance plans varies quite a bit. Some plans are relatively simple and others require much more work. The below guides walk you through the process for the most common vision and medical insurance plans.
- 41 Step Guide to Become a Medicare Provider w/ Screenshots
- How Optometrists join Medicare as an Independent Contractor 1099
- The Complete Medicare Resource List
- How to Become an AETNA Provider
- How to Become an AlwaysCare Provider
- How to Become a Blue Shield of California Provider
- How to Become a Davis Vision Provider
- How to Become an EyeBenefits Provider
- How to Become an Eyemed Provider
- How to Become an EyeQuest Provider
- How to Become a FEDVIP Provider
- How to Become a Humana Vision Provider
- How to Become a Humana Medical Provider
- How to Become a Spectera Provider
- How to Become a United Health Care Provider
- How to Become a Vision Plan of America Provider
- How to Become a Vision Benefits of America Provider
- How to Become a VSP Provider