Joining Medicare as an optometrist can be one of the most arduous processes new grads will experience; however, it is essential if you wish to submit claims and receive reimbursement for providing care to Medicare patients. This article serves as a guide for those new grads who will be working as Independent Contractors (1099) and submitting claims under themselves and not through another party or under another name or practice (re-assigning benefits).
For example, I work as an independent contractor and provide care to patients at several locations. As an independent contractor, I can personally bill Medicare and receive reimbursements directly from Medicare in the form of an electronic funds transfer.
Here is how to join medicare as an Optometrist Independent Contractor
There are many different forms and applications depending on what kind of provider you are. The application that is required for independent contractors is the CMS 855I which is available for download. This form can be completed by pen and paper or online using the PECOS system.
The author of the content you just read worked hard to provide you with this article. Even though we try our best, there is no guarantee the article is error free. NewGradOptometry.com, its sponsors, advertisers, staff and writers make no representation, warranty, or guarantee that this article and its contents are error-free and will bear no responsibility or liability for the results or consequences of the information contained within.
Step-by-step credentialing guides
The credentialing process for different insurance plans varies quite a bit. Some plans are relatively simple and others require much more work. The below guides walk you through the process for the most common vision and medical insurance plans.
- 41 Step Guide to Become a Medicare Provider w/ Screenshots
- How Optometrists join Medicare as an Independent Contractor 1099
- The Complete Medicare Resource List
- How to Become an AETNA Provider
- How to Become an AlwaysCare Provider
- How to Become a Blue Shield of California Provider
- How to Become a Davis Vision Provider
- How to Become an EyeBenefits Provider
- How to Become an Eyemed Provider
- How to Become an EyeQuest Provider
- How to Become a FEDVIP Provider
- How to Become a Humana Vision Provider
- How to Become a Humana Medical Provider
- How to Become a Spectera Provider
- How to Become a United Health Care Provider
- How to Become a Vision Plan of America Provider
- How to Become a Vision Benefits of America Provider
- How to Become a VSP Provider