Here are some basic guidelines on how to join the Spectera network as an optometrist. Spectera is part of United Health Care. If you have questions, let us know in the comments!
Step 1: Complete the introductory requirements
In order to become a Spectera provider, you must:
- Get your optometry license (see our guide that gives step-by-step instructions on how to get your optometry license in each state)
- Find a place to practice
- Get liability insurance
- Obtain your NPI number
- Begin the medicare enrollment process (see our 41 Step Guide to Become a Medicare Provider w/ Screenshots)
- Register with CAQH
See this in-depth guide for additional guidance on satisfying these core requirements. You’ll need to satisfy these requirements to become a provider with nearly every medical or vision plan.
For guidance on applying to additional plans, check out our in-depth Optometrist Credentialing Guide.
Step 2: Begin the application
Step 3: Complete the form
Complete the form with the following information:
- Practice Name
- Phone Number
Please note that you'll need to use a non-Google Chrome browser (e.g., Safari) to complete the application.
Step 4: Wait for the email
Spectera will then e-mail you within a few days to ask for your CAQH number.
Step 5: Wait 4-6 weeks
You may receive an email similar to the below:
Thank you for your quick reply – I will be sending your information over to our Contracting Department for processing – the credentialing process to activation normally takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks to process. Please feel free to contact me in the interim with any questions.
After four weeks have passed, you can call 949-589-4615 to check on the status of your application.
Note: The author of the content you just read worked hard to provide you with this article. Even though we try our best, there is no guarantee the article is error free. CovalentCareers, its sponsors, advertisers, staff and writers make no representation, warranty, or guarantee that this article and its contents are error-free and will bear no responsibility or liability for the results or consequences of the information contained within.
Step-by-step credentialing guides
The credentialing process for different insurance plans varies quite a bit. Some plans are relatively simple and others require much more work. The below guides walk you through the process for the most common vision and medical insurance plans.
- 41 Step Guide to Become a Medicare Provider w/ Screenshots
- How Optometrists join Medicare as an Independent Contractor 1099
- The Complete Medicare Resource List
- How to Become an AETNA Provider
- How to Become an AlwaysCare Provider
- How to Become a Blue Shield of California Provider
- How to Become a Davis Vision Provider
- How to Become an EyeBenefits Provider
- How to Become an Eyemed Provider
- How to Become an EyeQuest Provider
- How to Become a FEDVIP Provider
- How to Become a Humana Vision Provider
- How to Become a Humana Medical Provider
- How to Become a Spectera Provider
- How to Become a United Health Care Provider
- How to Become a Vision Plan of America Provider
- How to Become a Vision Benefits of America Provider
- How to Become a VSP Provider